Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Freezing: The Part of Winter My Inner Child Ignores

I do love me some snow, no doubt about it. But there are a few things about winter that my romanticized childhood memories have left out.

I associate snow with becoming a man.

I made my first real money shoveling snow. My friends and I even got paid $120 to remove a very large mound of snow that had accumulated in front of a pizzaria from half a season's worth of snow plowing. We got sushi with the money, because that's what you do when you make that much money when you're 11.

So naturally, when it snows, my inner child looks like this:

X-Box? Is that like a square igloo? I'm totally down.

Except, now that I have a real job, the reality is more like this:

Hey, that's cool. I'll just walk from here.

Oh well, we can't be kids forever. Would that we could.

But now that I have a space heater, some new coats and brand new wind sheild wipers, I think I'm gonna kick this winter's ass and take some names while I'm at it.

I've pretty much learned that this cold snap we just had was literally the worst they've ever seen, so I guess it's all up hill from here (unless it gets worse, of course).

The high was -2 one of those days. THE HIGH. I rest my case.

As for how I'm feeling personally, I'm anxiously waiting for the year to end. Much of my energy has been going into a job for which I'm worried the opportunities are thinning out.

It's not to say that I don't see a future with the movie theater, or that I can't be happy where I'm at. But I can't keep devoting so much of my personal and creative energy at a job that has grown, at times, frustrating and boring. Ok, maybe not boring. Let's say: unsatisfying.

However, I cleaned out my wallet tonight and found a very old piece of receipt paper with words written on the front and back. It must have been from a customer from 7-11 back in Tucson, but I cannot remember for the life of me who it was. Let's blame the deep freeze. It's ok, we can do that.

It says:
"Affirmation. Positive self-talk. I am talented, bright and creative and have a lot to offer. I am already thinking of new projects and creations. I am grateful for all the good that has come my way. If you want to be miserable, focus on your own happiness. If you want to be happy, focus on the happiness of others." 
Thank you, random customer whose name I don't remember and whose conversation I can't recall. That was just what I needed.

2 comments:

  1. That was Grace! I remember that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a Grace thing. Cool... one more mystery solved. Thank you Grace, wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete