Saturday, May 25, 2013

Something Big Is Happening in Denver

This week has been quite a busy one for me, and at the moment I am exhausted, having worked the first of three Memorial Day weekend days at the theater. They expected we would be busy as all hell, and they were right!

I hadn't gotten a chance to post it, but last weekend I attended one of the days of the convention for the Libertarian Party of Colorado. I met some very interesting people, including the state chair of LP Texas, and you can see the interview I filmed with him here.

I also didn't have a chance to post it, but I'm now contributing for them as well, writing articles for the party website. You can read my first article on the wave of scandals here. I'm quite proud of it, actually.

Perhaps one of the biggest highlights of the week was also at the convention, where I met a very smart dude from Wisconsin. After the dinner and the speech that night, he and I got so deep into talking that we had some drinks in the hotel bar and chatted it up for several hours. He's a blogger's blogger, and he's pretty darn "in the know" about a lot of things that are happening right now.

More than that, I felt that his overall view on the world and on humanity was so much closer to my own than anyone I've met since I moved up here that I had to believe I was meant to attend this convention, if only to meet this guy. And the feeling was mutual.

We talked a lot about universal spiritual concepts, how the Libertarian Party plays into the changes going on right now everywhere, and everything in between. I'll see if he wouldn't mind me posting a link here to his work in the next post.

On my way home from this very same convention, I also had a spiritual moment.

I was coming back from an event that we all felt was very important. The Libertarian State Leadership Alliance was also there, and they are sort of like the national leadership, which has their conference in a different state every year. A big role they serve is to help affiliates like us (Colorado) with seminars and workshops.

And we all came away from it feeling like we know what needs to be done, and I couldn't help but feel personally involved in this mission. Like I knew where my role was. It was a great feeling, being a part of something that could change the world.

And I was thinking about this, and all the stuff my new friend and I talked about, when this song by Dido came on the radio.

I'd heard it many times before, but at that very moment, it might as well have been meant for me. It was like verbal confirmation of the highest order, confirmation that I'm on the right track. That when I say to others that the Universe is full of love, and that it wants us to get better and to succeed, and that it has been doing so all along, that I am not too far off.

It was nothing short of a love letter from God in that very instant, and I could not hold back my tears.

On Easter, the same thing happened with this song. It wasn't that the song struck a Christian chord in me, because it meant much more to me than just its literal meaning.

If a Christian wanted to explain to you why Jesus is an important figure to them, they would (or perhaps should) say something along the lines of: "Because the power of forgiveness heals all, and our God happens to have done the impossible: forgive us all."

Us barbarians.

How awful we must have been, and for so long. With no hope for getting better. I believe forgiveness has the power to put an end to cycles of strife as well as self-hate, and Christ - whatever you might believe about him - represented this alternative solution.

The idea that some person who has wronged you should be forgiven is very hard to do, but if you don't, you cannot move on. And you will destroy yourself as well by not being able to forgive yourself when you wrong someone.

Why do I bring this all up? Because something is happening right now that is bigger than all things. It is bigger than Denver, bigger than American politics and even bigger than the legacy of Jesus himself.


I'm feeling it quite strongly here in Denver, and it even seems like Denver is a at a crossroads. It literally is, geographically speaking. It is like the doorway into the west, and I see this everywhere in the city. Some big things are going to start here, I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment